Saturday, July 25, 2020

27A – Reading Reflection No. 3

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success Carol Dweck

1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The general theme of the book is the mindset. The book discusses how different kinds of mindset can affect our decision or the way that we do things in different moments of our life.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
I think this book connects with the class because we have discussed how we have to receive comments from others and go out of our comfort zone to succeed with our ideas. The mindset is important in this case because if you do not have the proper mindset you would not accept feedback, and may think that people are against you or do not like your idea. Moreover, when you are starting a bussiness a growth mindset is necessary because at the beginning may not be easy and the process might be a little slow. 
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I will encourage an exercise where students have to develop a mindset ( growth/open) and make decisions with this mindset in any current situation that is currently happening in their life and see how was the process and results. After that make cooperation on how this mindset helped or no in the decision of decision making compared with other mindsets that they had in the past. 
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
I think all book was ¨ aha¨ moment to me because a week ago my mom was telling me about mindset settings and a lot of what she said I could be related to the book. I have to say that lately, I am have not been in a good place mentally because of the anxiety of what is coming next in my future and all situation that we are currently facing. After talking to my mom I have been trying to improve my mindset and this book help me to realize that if I wanted to improve my move I have to change my mindset. It is amazing to see how your mind can help you to change your vision about something that is going on in your life, and you can apply this in a decision, bussiness, school, and other aspects.


2 comments:

  1. Great choice for this reading reflection Valeria. I chose to read this book for my second reflection and implemented many of its recommendations since then. I have to say that overall, I feel more productive and motivated than I did before. Before this book I thought I was already in a growth mindset, but I realized that I still had more room to improve. Your mindset is a spectrum and you can lie in any number of places along that spectrum. After reading this book, I am encouraged to continue making strides towards personal growth and becoming more open to ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Valeria, I didn't get a chance to read this one, but from your analysis of it, it looks like a good one. I really like the idea you had for the activity for the class. It seems like the perfect way to further connect the book with real life experiences or thoughts that the students can directly relate to and put themselves in.

    ReplyDelete