You: My name is Valeria Perez Sarabia and I am 26 years old finishing my Dietetic major at the University of Florida. I have been a flamenco dancer since I was 4 years old. Dance helped me to gain discipline and to be organized with my time. One of my biggest hobbies is cooking and baking. I have been baking for a long time now, and I have developed recipes with my family to create high-quality baked products. A lot of people in my family bake so is a family hobby that we love to do and share. If I were to start a business it will be a bakery and it will be a huge accomplishment for us because we have been thinking about this and working on recipes to always deliver a good product. As a family, we love to bake, and we can generate money doing something that you love.
What are you offering to customers? : My plan is to create a bakery where I can offer different baked products such as different kinds of bread, cookies, brownies, cakes, and many others. Customers will order their desire products online through social media or websites, and we will take care of the order and provide delivery service (in the Orlando area). Also, I will like to incorporate new healthy recipes that I am trying to develop, so I can offer for people with intolerances and allergies.
Who are you offering it to?: I am offering this to people that love fresh homemade baked products, but these people do not have baking skills or they do not have the time to bake what they want. In addition, I am offering this to people that live in Orlando, Florida. This product is special for families since parents like to have snacks or sweets for their children.
Why do they care? These customers care because they are looking for good quality homemade baked products. Usually, the products found at regular retail stores are frozen and they lack flavor. The products that I will be offering will be around the same price that is found in the retail store. The products that I will offer will not be frozen or preserved which is something that customers are looking for.
What are your core competencies? My core competencies are the baking skills that I have developed throughout my life. Moreover, the recipes that my family and I have created deliver high quality homemade baked goods which are something that people are looking for. We have experience in this field and have helped my aunt who has her own bakery in Venezuela.
Evaluation: I do think that these elements fit together. The ability to create and bake baked goods can help me to be successful with this idea. Baking skills are a key element to and it would help the business work. The weaker side of my business will be the competition of other big bakeries. Publix bakery is one well known by a lot of people, and it can be my main competition. Therefore, I have to make sure to have good marketing in my products.
Feedback memo: The feedback that I got in my last post was pretty positive and a lot of people agreed that the fact that I had knowledge in the field of nutrition and baking would help me to develop good quality products. One of the feedback mentioned that I could incorporate some healthy options on the menu. In general, I focused on my baking skills and the quality of the products that I can create.
I strongly believe in having hobbies that benefit other aspects of your life. It can teach you passion and dedication. I think you are onto something with healthy sweets, if there is such a thing. I actually love to cook, but I don’t like to bake that much. In my case, even though I could, I would rather buy from someone else.
ReplyDeleteHi Valeria,
ReplyDeleteStarting a bakery has always been a dream of mine, and it's cool to see one of my peers embarking on that! The idea of customization is super cool, and I know that as a personal sweets lover, I would definitely stop by and check this out. Being in Orlando all the time helps too! Really excited to see where you go with this.
Hi Valeria,
ReplyDeleteI think this is the first time an Idea Napkin has made me hungry! :)
I have a lot of respect for baking and how difficult it can be. (I watch the Great British Baking Show and I'm in awe of what they create!)
I think it's great that you want to take a hobby and passion of yours, and create a differentiating experience for others. I like your idea of implementing more of a real-time ordering type of system for customers to take advantage with online. That could lead to less waste or surplus of unsold goods per day. Offering healthy options and allergy tolerant options would definitely be a plus. I've seen more keto breads and sweets introduced in the last year than I had in the last 10 years before that.
Great job!
Kyle Drake
Hey Valeria, once again I'm glad that you pointed out how much past experience and skills that you had even from a young age. I can clearly see how you are more than qualified and very passionate about your business idea. I still love your idea of the fresh baked goods whenever you want it. Always promised fresh, and never frozen, like no other shop. On top of that, making sure that they are fresh every time ensure that you really care about your customers.
ReplyDeleteHey Valeria,
ReplyDeleteI think entering the market for healthy bakery sweets is a great idea. People these days are into Veganism and Yoga, and healthy eating fits right into these trends. While the older generation may not like the concept of sweets being healthy for you, I think you could win them over if you don't compensate on the flavor of your baked goods. That way, both the young and old will come to you for your service!