The opportunity that I believe is to create an app by Dietitians where people with chronic diseases can have access to nutritional information and product recommendation from professionals.
Belief
The unmet need that regards people that have any chronic diseases that want to improve their health or eating habits. Especially because in this kind of disease people have to follow different and particular diets. Therefore, the target audience will be people that have chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, kidney disease, and people that want to prevent this diseases. This need has always existed because people sometimes refuse to get help from the nutrition field since it is not covered by insurance. People with chronic diseases need constantly follow up with their diets, so this app will be an easy way to contact the dietitian of their choice and see recommendations of products that they can buy. People that are not following dietitians advice usually go into the internet or follow advice from random people in social media. This is not good because the majority of the information in social media is misleading and it is not applicable for chronic disease scenarios. At this point, I would say that there is 65% that this opportunity exists.
Prototypical Customer #1: Maria Sarabia (53-year-old with Hypertension)
Do you go to visit a dietitian or a nutritional expert constantly?
No, I have gone just a few times in my life. I should go more often
because of my health condition.
How do you usually manage your diet?
I know that I have to keep a low sodium diet I try to stick to that rule. However, with process food is hard and I don't know what are the best options.
How important is it to maintain your diet regimen?
It is one of the most important things to me. If I don't take care of my diet my hypertension can get worse and lead to worse scenarios such as stroke.
Is it possible for you to go to a dietitian?
It's kind of hard to answer that question. I think that for me is hard since I work almost all day, so make time to go to an appointment is kind of challenging. On the days I am off I just want to rest and spent time with my family. Moreover, usually, those visits are expensive and my insurance does not cover it.
If there is a phone app where you can contact a dietitian to help you with your condition would you use it?
Yes, I think that would be easier since it does not consume as much time.
Prototypical Customer #2: Nelson Perez (53-year-old Pre-Diabetic)
Do you go to visit a dietitian or a nutritional expert constantly?
No, but I am aware that I should look for help since my blood glucose levels have been high. I know that usually with a change in diet this can be managed. Both of my parents were diabetic, so I have a little bit of experience with this condition.
How do you usually manage your diet?
It is hard. I know that I have to stay away from sweets since those increase blood glucose levels. I also know that I should not consume too many carbohydrates, but is kind of confusing what I can eat. I think I need to educate myself to sure what I should avoid and what not.
How important is it to maintain your diet regimen?
I think is the key to not end as a diabetic person. My parents did not pay attention to their diets and they had a lot of issues. My dad had one of his toe amputated, and both of my parents had vision problems due to diabetes. I don't want to become diabetic and I remember that all doctors said to my parents that the key was to manage their diet.
Is it possible for you to go to a dietitian?
I would say that I never have the time because I am always working.
If there is a phone app where you can contact a dietitian to help you with your condition would you use it?
Yes, I would because I want to talk to an expert in the field.
Prototypical Customer #3: Jose Valero (25-year-old diabetic)
Do you go to visit a dietitian or a nutritional expert constantly?
No, I went many years ago and I haven't gone since that time.
How do you usually manage your diet?
I avoid sweets as much as I can. Also, I look for recommendation and tips in social media because is easier than go to an appointment with a dietitian.
How important is it to maintain your diet regimen?
Very important. If I don't take care of it I can either have hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia which are not fun to have. I am constantly looking fr products to have no sugar, but it is hard especially because the food industry is now tricking us with marketing.
Is it possible for you to go to a dietitian?
I currently just work part-time since I am a student, so I do not have enough money to go with a dietitian. Sometimes my insurance covers a little session with a dietitian, but I would like to go with others. Moreover, between work and college, I never have time to go to appointments.
If there is a phone app where you can contact a dietitian to help you with your condition would you use it?
Yes!Definitely! It would be nice to speak with a professional that I can afford, and it will take less time. It will be easier for me.
Reflection
After talking to 3 different people it surprises me that they will use the app because it will save them time. They all agree that they do not have time to go to a dietitian, so the app will be an easier way to talk to a professional in the nutrition field. They did mention that it was not covered by insurance, but it was not their main concern. Therefore, this app would be a good idea for people that are busy and don't have time to go to medical appointments.
Summary
How much of your original opportunity is still there?
Based on the responses of the interview I made I think that an opportunity for this solution still there. I think there was interest from potential customers.
Do you believe that your new opportunity is more accurate than when you started?
After the interview, I understood that not many people go to a dietitian due to lack of time, but they are aware they should go. Therefore, they need nutritional counseling, and recommendations still exist.
How much do you think entrepreneurs should 'adapt' their opportunities based on customer feedback? (In other words, is there a trade-off between adapting and staying firm?)
I think that entrepreneurs should be an open mind and listen to feedback. Even if the idea works the feedback from others can help you to develop a better idea, product, or services. In the end, the product or service is delivered to the public and if they don't like it or are not satisfied with it the idea will not be successful.
Hey Valeria,
ReplyDeleteCool idea. I can see how people with chronic diseases certainly have more stress in their lives overall and would rather spend time with their family and relax after work rather than worrying about going to and paying for a professional to figure out a diet. An addition that could be beneficial for your app is including a social element, allowing users of the app to communicate with each other and spread the word about what works for them and what doesn't seem as effective. In this way, the professional opinion can be backed up with others who have followed their advice and seen for themselves if it works.
Hey Valeria, I enjoyed reading and learning about your opportunity belief. I think your idea of an app by dietitians where people with chronic diseases can have access to nutritional information and product recommendation from professionals, is brilliant. My mother is a dietitian, so I ran your idea by her and she absolutely loved it. I think this app could really inform and help a lot of people who have little or no knowledge about their or others chronic diseases.
ReplyDelete