Opportunity
I decided to focus on the opportunity that I wrote in an early assignment which is to develop a family business. Since my mom, I and my sisters love to bake and we consider that we have good skills to make good products. Therefore, I see the opportunity to start a small delivery bakery business with my family where we create.
Who: The customer will be people around the Orlando area that like to buy fresh bake sweets and homemade bread or people that do not have skills to bake at home
What: People usually like to have any kind of sweets or buy bread to have at home. Homemade products are usually full of flavor compared to baked goods or bread that are found at the store.
Why: Due to the lack of skills of people for baking is hard for them to make a good baking product, and it consumes a lot of time to bake. Even if people find some bread or baking products at the store they are never as fresh as homemade bake products. Moreover, with the current COVID-19 pandemic people prefer to stay at home, co we can deliver the product they want. Some people prefer homemade products because of the quality of the ingredients and the product overall is better.
Hypothesis Testing
My hypothesis is that people that don't like retail bake sweets will buy homemade products.
Testing the Who: When I thought of this opportunity I considered the who to be people that like to consume fresh homemade products. Later I realized that with the current pandemic people don´t want to go anywhere and they dont have baking skills are potential customers as well.
Testing the What: The boundaries of these needs will be the offering of homemade products such as cookies, brownies, cupcakes, cakes, and different presentation of bread. This product will be fresh and delivered to the customer, so people won't have to go to the store to buy something that is frozen or that is not the best quality.
Testing the Why: A lot of people might think that bake products are easy to make, but the reality is that baking is pure science and if you dont have the skills the end product can turn out bad. Baking sweets or bread is a process that takes time, and not all people have the time to do it. Moreover, some baked goods can be found at the store, but the truth is that the flavor is never the same since the majority of the products are frozen. Therefore, this opportunity will give people the chance to have quality products that can be delivered, so they don't have to go anywhere.
Interviews
Interview#1 ( Mom of 2 children): This mom is a very busy woman and she balances her job by taking care of her children. She said that she loves to have bread at home because it is an easy way to feed her children. She actually said that they are bread lovers and is something that they eat regularly. However, she says that it is hard to find bread they all like in the store. She also mentioned that she tries to bake the bread at home because they love it. However, she said that she never has the time to bake since she has a busy life. I asked her if she likes the opportunity, and she loved the idea and that she will consume the product.
Interview#2 ( 2 parents and two little children): This family enjoys eating sweets cookies, cakes, and cupcakes. They say they usually buy them at the store, but they prefer the homemade flavor. None of the parents have baking skills and they said that they do not have time to bake, so they always end buying at the store. They were interested when I talked about my idea and said that it is a service they would use.
Interview#3 (College student): This college student mentioned that she loves homemade baked sweets because it remains her about her grandmother who used to bake every time. She said that she used to observe her grandmother baking, but she said that she doesn't like to bake or make a mess. Moreover, she explained that with all the college work and her job she barely has time to cook. She says that she usually buys baked sweets at the store, but she misses that homemade flavor cookie. She liked my idea and said that she would buy some homemade cookies.
Interview #4 (Senior couple): This lovely couple mentioned that they have some skill baking. In fact, they have some grandchildren and they love to bake with them. It is something that they love to do and is like a family activity. They do not get baked products from the store because they do not like them. They told me that my idea was fantastic, but they do not need my services since they know how to bake, and they are not really enthusiastic about the delivery.
Interview #5 (Couple): This young couple is both hard workers and they pretty much spent their time at work or working out. They have poor skills at cooking and they do not bake at all. They get baked products from the store and they like it. The couple really does not see the difference between homemade and store products. They mentioned that the like the services because it is something that can be delivered, but they will use it rarely.
Summary
After all interviews, I could see that my idea was well received and now I have a better understanding of who can be my potential customer. The idea was better received by families and people that do not have time to bake.
Hi Valeria! I think your idea is awesome. As a sweet tooth myself, I’d love to order homemade baked goods from a potential family business like yours. There are times where I don’t like buying frozen baked products from the store because they are not good quality like you’ve mentioned and might be bad for one’s health. I’ve also never baked a day in my life and know that the baked goods I’d make wouldn’t be as good as yours. I’m sure you’ll be successful in this business with the amount of passion you have.
ReplyDeleteHey Valeria, I remember reading about your delicious family business in the entrepreneurship story assignment. One of the things that I liked from this assignment from you were the way you conducted the interviews. I was already a believer in this business but the questions you asked and the insight I got from their responses made me even more of a supported. It also doesn't hurt that I have a major sweet tooth for baked goods.
ReplyDelete