Thursday, June 4, 2020

12A – Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

Pick a Segment:  The segment that I will be selecting will be families around 4-5 people preferable with children around the ages of 4-16 years old. In my neighborhood, I have the opportunity to reach these families.
Interviews
First Family ( 3 children): This is a family of 5 whose children are around the age of 3-6 years old. I spoke with then about my idea and ask them several questions. Overall, they told me that they try not to buy sweets regularly because they don't want their kids to eat much sugar. However, the mom mentioned that she usually has a different kind of events ( not right now due to the Covid-19 pandemic) and she usually likes to bring any baked good, so she said that she could use my service.
Second Family ( 2 children): I pretty much did the same questions with this family. Overall, they were interested in using this service that I am offering. They mentioned that usually on the weekends they like to have either a piece o cake or cookies, but they said it was hard to find a good one. Moreover, they like the idea of the delivery since they don't like to go out too much over the weekend.
Third Family ( 3 children): I spoke a lot with this family because we found out that we have a lot of similar preference to baked products. This family used to bake before (especially the mom), but their daily life does not leave them time to bake. They mentioned that they are usually too tired to do it, so when I told them about my service they were excited. They were really interested when I mentioned bread because they love to have bread at home all the time. 
As I spoke with these 3 families I could that the common factor was they do not have time to bake and that's why they do not bake at home. Some of them told me that they get baked products from the retail store, but that those are not their favorite at all. Two out of three families mentioned Publix because they have good reviews on the internet and other relatives buy those products too. Therefore, when I mentioned the bakery that I want to start and describe how the product will be made the families saw it that as something different because the baked goods will be homemade.
Conclusion
After conducting my interviews I can conclude that the most common factor is that people do not have time to bake, and they decide to buy ready baked goods at common retail stores. Some of them mentioned that it is not their favorite option, but they still get those products from the store because it is easy. My product is attractive to them, but they still can get products from these stores or other bakeries if they want because that is their first thought. It would depend on how fresh or the taste they want.

3 comments:

  1. I think choosing families was a great segment for this post. The more children and people in a family, the harder it usually is to make baked goods yourself. I feel like this would be great once children go back to school and have bake sales or other events where baked goods are needed. Depending on how far ahead you would need to order these items might affect your business. If it is last minute and you would not be able to fulfill the order then they would end up purchasing the baked goods from retail stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Valeria,

    It seems that the parents who would be interested in your service want baked goods that are healthy for their kids. I'm sure you can find a way to make healthy but sweet snacks for the kids, and in this way you can also build a business relationship with the parents to get repeated orders. While I think store-bought bakery items are good, they make me feel unhealthy after eating them so I get a sense of guilt afterwards. You have the opportunity to target those type of people and provide a better alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Valeria, fist of all, your organization for this assignment is great. You have everything separated and clearly labeled for people to follow. I took a look at your interviews, and I agree with your conclusion that people don't have the time, nor the desire to bake goods at home. With a shop like yours with everything made fresh, it will satisfy a big opportunity.

    ReplyDelete